We have just come back from a week in Semarang, and remembered to take some more pictures this time, so here is the beginning of a three-part introduction into the town of Semarang, Hanna's birthplace, and family home.
Firstly, a photo of Hanna's house in Kampung Petemesan, this has been Hanna's family home since before she was born. The lane to the left is a communal lane leading to a whole other section of the Kampung (or 'village'). The get to the house, you drive down a narrow driveway between two buildings (see previous posts). I doubt I could handle living here...its definitely a different style of living to what we're used to, but this is where Hanna's mum and sister Merry live, and its nice to see how people really live!
Firstly, a photo of Hanna's house in Kampung Petemesan, this has been Hanna's family home since before she was born. The lane to the left is a communal lane leading to a whole other section of the Kampung (or 'village'). The get to the house, you drive down a narrow driveway between two buildings (see previous posts). I doubt I could handle living here...its definitely a different style of living to what we're used to, but this is where Hanna's mum and sister Merry live, and its nice to see how people really live!
This is a view from the front of the house, showing some food stalls which have packed up for the night. You can't really see it, but just where the light is is Hanna's mum's factory.
This was just a view from the car at a Nasi Ayam stall we ate at, waiting for the others to come back. Its not a very good photo, I know, but I was trying to use a long exposure with a very small camera!
Lastly, a view of Semarang at night. This was taken on the eve of Hari Raya, the Muslim New Year, and was taken from the roof-top of a mountain side ice-cream shop. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the fireworks that were happening all around the city, but I wasn't so lucky. It was a nice experience being there for Hari Raya, hearing the prayers chanting across the city...
Alan & Hanna :-)



No comments:
Post a Comment