Thursday, 26 October 2006

Semarang, 2 of 3

For this post, I wanted to show some views of Semarang during the day. These photos were mainly taken whilst driving too and from eating establishments. I'm not 100% sure on the locations of some of these, but it gives an idea of what Semarang is like.


This second shot is of a local market. Strangely, Hanna and her friend have never been to this market, claiming its too hot, too busy, and not too safe. I had a strange desire to dive right into the market, but upon opening the window and feeling the oppressive heat, I decided against it, and settled for the local department store instead. Whenever Hanna's family needs something from the market, from foodstuffs to pet turtles for the kids, one of the drivers rushes off on a motorcycle... Perhaps one day, I will leave my wallet, phone, and any other valuables in the car, and venture deep inside this market...or maybe not?


Thirdly, a shot of the street around the corner from Hanna's house. I always find this place amazing, as its a four-five lane road, with huge warehouses all around, but if you look closely, you will see the entire road is paved...not cement, not tar, but pavers. Quite a feat really!


Lastly, just a nice sunset shot of a street that we ate in.


I hope these photos give you all a sense of the size and make up of Semarang. The one thing it doesn't show is the age of so much of the town. Once you get off the main roads, especially around the china-town area, the places are old and dark, with many of them looking like they've been through a few wars (such is the constant barrage of heat and moisture). I think next time we visit I will make sure I take some pictures of the older parts of Semarang.

Indecently, if you want to see more pictures of Semarang, which was a major port town during the Dutch colonial era, please visit Semarang@Wiki or www.semarang.nl. These sites have some photos of the landmarks in and around Semarang.

Alan & Hanna :-) Posted by Picasa

No comments: