Tuesday, 26 December 2006

Hayling Island, England

Welcome to the first of a series of ten posts from our recent trip to the UK and Europe. Overall, we had a really great time, and though it was bitter-cold and wet most of the time, it was an enjoyable trip, and has definitely wet our appetite to see more of Europe sometime in the near future.
We started our holiday with a couple of days in London, and then Christmas in Slough with some of my cousins, aunties and uncles from my dad's side of the family. Its nice to finally get to know the family which I have always been so remote from. Its funny how similar family can be, even though you have lived your lives entirely in absence of each other, somehow family traits still carry on.

On Boxing Day, we made a trip down to Hayling Island, to the south of London on the coast to visit my Grandparents.


Visiting Hayling Island allowed Hanna and I to visit our first ever pebbly beach. The weather wasn't quite beachy (to say the least), and taking this photos required a bit of effort (as I had to take my hands out of the warmth of my pockets!)


I don't know why, but I had always expected that the pebbles on the beach would be nice small round things, not too dissimilar from those you find in a pebble-crete pool, and was surprised that the beach was covered in fairly large and irregular stones. I think the beach looks really nice, but I can't imagine wanting to lie on the beach, and we're told that often when the waves crash down on the stones, they are sent flying around the place, often travelling far enough to break the windows of nearby homes!


Just a quick photo of two of my youngest cousins. :)


And a photo from my grandparents home. It was really touching to walk into a house I've never ever seen, and have pictures of me as a child all around the place. It makes you realise that no matter what, family is family.

:)

Alan & Hanna

No comments: