Friday, 25 August 2006

London & Slough, England

For an Arup conference, I was flown to London for a short week in the old blighty. I don't have much to say about London, as I didn't get a chance to see all that much, especially as my hotel was just around the corner from the office. I did get a chance to spend an hour or so wondering around the banking district, and see the home of England's first Corporate Investment Bank, which is an experience that quickly makes you realise that there is so much more money in the world than you will ever get near.

I enjoyed the opportunity to walk outside and feel a cool wind on my face. It may seem strange, but I really enjoyed feeling cold, as the only time it has happened of late is if we turn the A/C down too far! Whilst in London, I also went on a Thames cruise, which was really nice, and I managed to see a whole list of key tourist spots, if only from a distance. Stupidly though, I left my camera in the hotel, and so the only photo of London I managed to bring how was of BT Tower, looking out of the hotel window!


While in London, I thought it would be a good opportunity to visit some of my family, who I haven't really seen for over 15 years. So I made the journey out to Slough (after the train broke down at Paddington) and spent an evening with my relatives. [And yes, Slough is where The Office was filmed].


It was great to spend some time with the relatives, and get to meet my cousins who I last saw when I was 9. I took a couple of pictures of the housing estate they live in. It is so typically English that I think anyone would immediately guess that this was in England.



I guess that's about all I can say about England at the moment. Hopefully sometime in the not-too-distant future we'll have a whole lot more to say... Posted by Picasa

No comments: